Thursday, April 10, 2008

I grew up next to an Indian family.

I grew up next to an Indian family. I was in the same class as one of their children, Kashmeeni and to tell you the truth, all through primary school I never spoke to her. She did her own thing and I was completely involved with all my extra-curricular like netball, art, so forth. Then one day, out of the blue, we were the only ones waiting for our bus that was extremely late and we started talking. She told me about India, about the cities like Mumbai, New Delhi, Bihar, Jharkhand, Goa, West Bengal and Bangalore. I was completely fascinated and she became my best friend, my gateway to the world beyond. And here I am, three years later in India by myself, visiting all these magnificent places that Kashmeeni would talk about.

India is unpredictable and quite a contrasting city. I drive through poverty, through people begging for money, begging for food, looking absolutely terrible in their worn out clothes, with only a few pathetic possessions to their name and live in the streets shared by many others. As I continue to drive further, I will find a dazzling temple swamped with people professing their faith and love to their Gods, willing to sacrifice themselves in the name of their religion, completely giving and relentless in their worship. I am amazed and appalled at this contrast of worlds, where people beg to live and others live to beg.

Apart from all that, the food is amazing and the people are friendly. I have met only a handful of scoundrels but there is always a bad apple in the bunch, wherever you go. I will be in India for a year and will be able to experience my first monsoon soon. It is coming up. Currently I have attended the Republic Day Festival that has elephants and a military procession. I am looking forward to all the other upcoming festivals and events. I love the country’s spiritual atmosphere, magical architecture and breath-taking landscape. The people here also truly capture the essence of their country and I have already made some lifelong friends. It has been great so far and I think this Indian adventure will only get better!

No comments: